Please tell me I’m not alone! Does anyone else have trigger foods???–you know, those foods that you just can’t keep in the house because you KNOW you will devour the entire stash. Mine all involve chocolate, and here are my top three: chocolate fudge, chocolate chip cookies, and any open bag of chocolate chips. And now, I have some confessions to make:
Confession #1 One of my kind neighbors dropped off a plate of fudge and peanut brittle over Christmas. I shared the brittle with the kids, but the fudge mysteriously disappeared before my husband even got home from work–all ten pieces! Oh, but it was soooo good!
Confession #2 I made a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies a few months ago–My kids and I delivered most of them to some friends and ate a bunch also. There were about 20 cookies left so I just froze them…even vacuum sealed the bag, but the vacuum seal was no match for my crafty ways. Four days later, the cookies also were mysteriously missing–all of them!
And finally, Confession #3, it’s been a rough week. I ran out of my usual, get me through the day snacks. This turned out to be a good thing, because I lost two more pounds of my baby weight! But by last night I had endured enough of the deprivation!—I was in need of something seriously chocolaty. I knew had an unopened bag of chocolate chips, but that was too risky–then…there it was–a medium bag of chocolate covered cinnamon bears in the back of the cupboard (did I mention my husband sells snack foods?). Those poor bears are now in the trash–I sucked the chocolate off them all!!! (enter wicked creepy laugh) OK, I know– I have issues…but the chocolate on those bears was really divine.
And then!– there was my husband’s sabotage today. As I arrived home from the store this afternoon he came out to the garage and handed me a chocolate covered oreo cookie! Those, for whatever reason, are not usually a risky food for me, unless the are deposited directly in my hand!
The worst part is I feel so terrible after eating a bunch of chocolate junk–my body is achier, my head is itcher (weird, huh), I get headaches, my skin is splotchier, and, I know they say you don’t get zits from chocolate–but I do!(though not every time, thankfully)
I’m certain the problem stems from my two different learned genes trying to compete. There’s my adorable and sweet mother, who is 5 foot nothing, and has struggled with her weight and eating throughout her life. Then, there’s my dad, slender, mostly healthy eater, but also one of those people who can eat just one cookie.
I am a firm believer in NOT depriving myself. I think a little sweet snack every now and then is good, but I really need to work at stopping my trigger food over-indulgences.
So, the contest between health and my chocolate obsession forges ahead–to be continued…